Friday, September 08, 2006

Is that a… Oh God!

So yesterday felt like a marathon. Run for school, run for the office, run to class (pause) realization – Oh dammit I forgot to go to the pharmacy! Of course I realized this 10 minutes before I was supposed to start teaching. Definitely not enough time to get to the pharmacy and back to the classroom on time. Man was I mad at myself, as I would have to drive back to school just to get the prescription filled the next day!

Luckily I got through my lecture with an extra ten minutes to spare. Now mind you I’m wearing high heels, not realizing I would be running a friggin marathon that day. So I took off out of the classroom like a shot, hoping that in 20 minutes I could make it to the pharmacy and then to the next class I had to teach far across campus. Unfortunately I didn’t realize that one of my students was following me so he could find the classroom. As he put it, later “Yeah, I was following you to find the room, and then it got weird.”

“Phew, there is not line at the pharmacy, maybe I can pull this off…”
I found the back door to the health center, and figured (wrongly) that I could cut across the back way in almost a straight shot to the Math Building. Now, I haven’t used this section of campus in years, like since I was an undergraduate. So I’m running along, in my heels, on a good course and suddenly, there is a building that never used to be there blocking the way.
“Aarrgghh! Where did that come from? Detour!”
I cut through the bushes and come out on N. Eagleville road and hurry along. The building is a giant L wrapping around the corner of the block. Of course I need the other end… I figure I can go in one end and just follow the hallways around… famous last words, “Not a through entrance.”
Proving nothing at can ever be simple, back outside run across the plaza, find the stairs – I got to the classroom about 1 minute before class was supposed to start.

I actually found my entire class in the hallway.
“What the hell is going on?” The teacher in the classroom before me refuses to end his class on time, a pattern is developing here.
I stick my head in the room, “Ahem, I am supposed to be teaching?”
He actually has the audacity to say, “Ok we’ll be out in ten minutes”
I guess I shouldn’t have asked in a questioning tone, now I’m irritated “No, not in ten minutes my class is supposed to start NOW!!!!”
“Oh we’ll be out in a minute”
I don’t know who he was, and I’m kinda glad he doesn’t know who I am after that little exchange, but by this time I’m on my cell phone with scheduling getting a new room…

Consequently, my class ran over and I didn’t get everything done. Now I’m late for Beer Hour which I’m supposed to be organizing due to the absence of the normal MC, and it is across campus, again! Cursing the location of my classroom for the tenth time that day. I’m off and running again.

By the time I wrapped up my own work after Beer Hour, I still had to pick up some groceries on the way home. By now lunch has definitely worn off, the lady checking me out asked how I could shop without eating first? I countered “with a lot of restraint” of course restraint went out the window while I was stopped at a light next to Burger King. Next thing I know I was scarfing down a burger… Yet another healthy meal. Finally my very blistered feet hit the front step at 10pm.

The first thing I did was to loose the sandals in exchange for some PJs and bare feet. Second, a glass of water… Then standing at the water cooler, OH GOD WHAT IS THAT GROUND INTO THE CARPET???? It used to be a mouse. SIMBA!!!! WHAT DID YOU DO? He usually eats the whole thing and spares me. To make matters worse, Dan, in his work boots had stepped on it without noticing. Oh, God, Oh, God, Oh, God I can’t deal with this right now.

Ok, first go get the boots off him. Of course he wants to know why I want to see the bottom of his boots, and then immediately turns green. Take the boot outside, clean it up. Then I needed a few minutes of breathing to figure out how to deal with the worse one. Gloves, paper towels, cleaning solution… my poor stomach – flip-flop, GROSS!!!! All said and done, I finally wind down enough to go to bed figuring I’ve had enough of this day. Of course to top the day off I manage to drop the barrettes I’m taking out of my hair, directly into the toilet… I might have washed it recently but I STILL DON’T WANT TO STICK MY HAND IN THERE! Man, I’ve got to go to bed before anything else bad happens. I’m glad I’m staying home today.

No comments: